Friday, May 09, 2008

Dream 76: Double Trouble and A Shelter for Deaf Lesbians
P and I were at a gig. There was no stage but the edge of a dance floor. There was microphone off to the left then a couple of screens promoting the gig then a couple more mics on the right. I was about to go off and get changed when P suddenly went up to the mic on the left and started the gig. He did some of his usual set, leaving out the bits where I come in. He was getting some good laughs but part of the audience weren't going along with it. He then tried to adapt a routine to the venue/place. I could see what he should have done/said, but he got it all wrong and it didn't make any sense. Lots of the audience still laughed and P was pleased with himself, but a section of the audience shouted out, that doesn't make sense and not funny. P finished and went behind the screen. I went to follow him but he went over to the mics on the right and started saying something else to finish off. I turned to go back to my seat as I didn't want to get in the way of 'the show'. Then he finished again so I chased him back behind the screen. I was about to get changed, we're supposed to be a double act, I said, why didn't you wait for me? But he just shrugged. I told him that part of it didn't make sense but P just said he'd enjoyed himself. He was pleased that the reaction had been good (ignoring the dissent from one section of the audience). So I said well fine, you can do it yourself from now on and walked off. As I walked off I was upset, but thought I can do some sketches with other people and do more acting etc now....
(I told P this dream and he said he never do that and that he loved being a double act - just in case anyone was worried!).
I was in a home full of women. I was assigned to a bed. It was a very crowded room, I met one of the woman close by and we got on very well. Many of the women were deaf. Next day I was due to have a kind of marriage ceremony with this woman. She was attractive and fun and we seemed well suited. But something happened right before the ceremony and she was taken away. An older woman stepped forward into the middle of a circle which had formed. I'd seen her before and I liked her but I didn't fancy her. She was offering herself and I didn't want to leave her in the lurch in front of everyone. I think if you didn't have a partner you were ostracised. I sensed she'd been rejected before. I stepped into the circle and gave her a hug. So we would be married at some point. I was disappointed. I went into the bedroom area and saw that amongst what I thought were single beds there were double beds. Now I was to share the older woman's bed. I thought I don't mind sharing the bed, but I don't want anything physical with her. I noticed that she was lying on another bed with a baby in her arms (someone else's baby). She went under the covers and was silently crying. I went under with her and held the woman and baby in my arms, we all fell asleep.
I woke up the next day (in the dream) to find we were in a different shelter. I was officially the older woman's partner and everyone was very deaf. I had to pretend I was deaf as well. I was aware that I mustn't react to sound and only seem to be able to hear when people were in front of me ie lip reading. I kept trying to remember if I had kept up the act earlier or not. It was my partner's birthday and she wanted a certain dish for dinner. There was a computer where you selected what you wanted for each meal from the menu. She wanted porridge oats and jam. I said I think that's a breakfast dish, but then I found it for dinner and changed her order. I scrolled through trying to find something I could eat. I was annoyed because I had food at the other home and I wondered if they'd brought it over. There was very little on the menu for me.
We were due for a music session, it was a special therapy for the deaf to feel the rhythm and learn an instrument by rote/sense. I realised I had left my flute on a sideboard at the other house although someone told me they were bringing it over. Again I had to remember to respond only when I could see someone speaking to me. Then I was taken to get some clothes, mine had gone missing. There were lots of items that were unsuitable or didn't fit me, but then I found some loose, colourful 'hippie' style pants and I started to try them on. I was watching to see if they were trying to catch me out for not being deaf. I wasn't sure if I could keep it up and I wasn't that happy with my partner. She was nice and kind, but we didn't have a connection and I felt doomed to a mediocre existence.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Karen Bayly said...

You've had other dreams where P has forgotten you were part of the act, haven't you?

As for the deaf lesbian dream, the mind boggles but the rest of me giggles.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Dreeeeamer said...

I don't remember one where we were both there and he went on without me...
Lesbians in a dream, well that's fairly normal but why they were deaf...?

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Karen Bayly said...

I was thinking of the dream posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007, titled "Betrayed by song" where P was doing this new routine with another female singer.

Yes, it was the fact that they were deaf lesbians that had me intrigued, and that you felt so compelled in the dream to pretend that you were deaf as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home